Thursday, February 26, 2009

Creating a Fondant Bow


I have a frequent customer that sends me pictures of cakes that she wants me to replicate. Well sometimes I can, and sometimes I can't! Her daughter was having a birthday and she sent me this beautiful picture of a cake that was a "present" and asked if I thought I might be able to do it. I felt I would have no problem with the cake itself and doing the "present" but when it came to the bow on top, I had never worked with fondant other than in my Wilton classes (which by this time was over five years ago!). So I did some research, talked with my friend who has done cakes for years, and got some instructions on how to do the bow. It actually wasn't as hard as it seems. I had to cut strips of fondant and then curl them and twist the ends and let them harden for several days (keeping in mind to always make extra due to breakage). Then when you begin to assemble the bow, you melt white chocolate and assemble the bow in a small bowl and begin to alternate the loops, shaping into a bow. I have attached a picture of the finished cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment