Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Creating Books with Fondant

I was asked to do a cake for a graduation, and Sherry wanted to have two stacked books on the cake along with a graduation cap and the diploma scroll. Well I knew the cap and scroll were no problem but I had never done the books before. I watch "Ace of Cakes" quite often and they use rice crispies to form shapes and them cover them with fondant. So I decided to buy the rice crispies snacks that are already made (they are already in a rectangular shape), I covered the sides with white fondant and used my fondant roller to make ridges to look like pages, and then covered them with two different colors of fondant. They were the cutest two little books! I was so excited. The more I use fondant the more comfortable I get. It is not as intimidating as it seems.

2 comments:

  1. I'm incredibly impressed! I have taken Wilton cake decorating classes, as well. As a matter of fact, I decorated the groom's cake for my wedding (chocolate cream, basket weave, with sugared grapes and strawberries in the "basket"). I don't get much of a chance to decorate anymore. The last one I did was a baby shower cake. The family did not know the baby's name until the cake was unveiled. That's how the couple told their families the name they had chosen!

    I have made birthday present cakes with fondant bows for my own child's birthday before. My favorite, though, was a beach scene with a toothpick tiki hut, graham cracker crumb sand, and chocolate/white chocolate seashells.

    Your blog is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your comments. I'm sorry to just be responding! I was updating and adding some pictures and realized I had some comments! I just don't ever think to look for them, I do apologize. The baby shower cake idea is great. I will have to remember that! I'm sure the beach cake was great. If you have a blog, please let me know, I would love to see some pictures. I created this because I was taking an online course and one of our assignments was to create a blgo. I thought, I'm not going to just create something that I won't use again, so I decided to make it about my cakes! It has really been fun.

    ReplyDelete