Thursday, February 26, 2009

5-Tier Birthday Cake

A few months ago, someone here at the office asked if I would make her a 5-tiered birthday cake! Well at first I was like are you sure you want five tiers? This was the biggest cake I had done since starting my cakes and it seemed rather daunting. She simply told me her colors, hot pink, black, and silver. She left the rest up to me. So I went home and started sketching out the cakes. She wanted each one to be different but yet have them to all tie together. I used several new techniques that I had never tried before, such as the pink curls on the top tier. They are made with royal icing that I had to make a week or so ahead in order to harden. I used straws to place them in the cake. I also placed ribbon roses on the second tier, again this was the first time I had tried these and I really like the look of them. They were really very easy to use and I will probably use them again. I also used cornelli lace on two of the tiers which I have to say I really like the look of and plan to use in the future. I've attached some photos of the finished product.

No comments:

Post a Comment